The Blue Heron Paper Mill, that closed in 2011, was on land used for industry from the early years of Oregon City's history, dating back to 1829. Prior to that time, it was a primary fishing location for local Native American tribes who lived in the vicinity of the falls. The Willamette Falls Legacy Project is adapting this land to provide community access to the waterfalls while maintaining elements of this old mill and honoring the Native American heritage.